Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A true MILEstone


A MILEstone...get it?  No? Ok, read on and you will.

I ran a full mile today (get it now??). Ok, technically .99 but I'm rounding up! My previous best was .5 mi all at once. Now, it's a mile. It was a slow 16:13 mile but it was a MILE! Of course I died afterwards. Almost. It was supposed to be my Couch to 5K Week 6 day 3 workout of 5 min warm up, 25 min run and 5 min cool down. I hadn’t run in 6 days and I wasn’t sure if I could run 25 mins straight. I decided to set my C25K app for the 25 min run and see how I felt as I went. I wanted to at least run a mile. That was my goal today. Four times around the track. And I did it. Barely. But I did it. It was only 16 minutes and 13 seconds, but I was hurting and I needed a walk break. I knew I couldn’t run for 9 more minutes. I walked for 5 then ran for 4 more to finish out the 25. I remember the days where I was terrified to run for 3 minutes because it was way more than a minute-thirty. Baby steps have been working!

It was a beautiful day at the track today!
I was talking to a co-worker today about running. She runs, so we’ve discussed a few things about running on and off, randomly. I jokingly mentioned today that I wished she could coach me, and she said she wanted to! She’s not a coach, but she’s a better runner than I am and I can learn a lot from her. She just does recreational running but we talked today about a workout and she thought up a plan off the top of her head. It includes speed work, which is totally new to me, so it’ll be fun to try out. We will be starting a week after my triathlon so I can start getting ready for my half marathon in Feb.

Now excuse me while I go puke, because for a brief second, I thought running might be fun. 

4 comments:

  1. Ha, ha! I thought I had a good time last night, too (3.1 miles, off & on run intervals, one mile continuous) but I'm sure that's not what I was thinking while I was doing it! LOL!

    So does that mean you're *not* doing the Seacoast Century with me on Sept 24? I'm planning on either the 50 mile or metric century...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is AWESOME!!! I got the biggest grin reading your post. Wonderful news.:)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your first mile!!! Congrats! :)

    My blogger friend Helen coached me way before I found my running club - it was really wonderful to get such help from someone who knew exactly what I was facing. Glad you have a coach now, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Sara. I love reading your posts. I started running in April and recently joined a local running club. I highly recommend you find a running club in your area. My club is absolutely great and the members range from elite marathon runners to 5k walkers. Everyone is supportive of one another and there are many group runs to choose from. For example, on Thursday nights we have a group 5k run. We cheer everyone on to the finish and then all go out for food and beverages (beer) afterwards. The club pays for our entries into a variety of races including relays such as the 65.1 mile Lake Winnipesaukee Relay (which I will be running in next weekend, eek). If you do join a club, and it's anything like mine, you won't be sorry. You can search for a local club here: http://www.rrca.org/find-a-running-club/

    I also suggest reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall. While the book focuses on ultra marathoners, it also highlights why our bodies are truly "born to run". I'm not about to go run a 100 mile trail race in the mountains at this point, but the book really inspired me to get and out run – especially on days when I am feeling less than motivated.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...