Thursday, November 3, 2011

Too much rest?


Is it possible to have too much rest during a training cycle? Or does your body create it’s own rest periods, by making you sick and requiring rest, when you won’t slow down? Does too much rest set you back in your training? Can you get back on track easily? Should you skip the weekly training you missed or get back on track and be behind a week when race day comes?

All of these questions are running through my mind today. I’ve been feeling under the weather since last Sunday and I’ve been out sick from work since Tuesday. I made the decision on Monday to forgo my Yoga Monday this week because I wasn’t feeling well. On top of that, we didn’t have power because of the Nor’easter we got right before Halloween. It was cold in my house and we had to huddle in the community center in my complex for heat (and a two-channel TV!). I went to bed early Monday night, and then was sent home from work on Tuesday. Since then I’ve been either in bed or on the couch trying recuperate from not feeling well. (We got our power back mid-day Tuesday.)

In the process I’ve not only missed my yoga class, but a scheduled run. Do I skip it, or try to make it up by running back to back days? I mean, it’s not as bad as missing an entire week. I still have tomorrow’s run and a 5 miler scheduled for the weekend. But on top of being sick this week, I had back and hip problems last week, which have gotten a lot of rest this week with my non-movement. That could be good or bad. Plus, even though I’m feeling better and I plan on going into work tomorrow, should I even push my body and do the run?

I’m just so doubtful. This is all new to me; I have no idea if I’m doing it right, or if there’s even a “right” way to do this.

I’d like to move forward in this process, not back. Any advice??

2 comments:

  1. Skip the run, a missed run is a missed run and if you try to make up for it you may get sick again or hurt yourself because of too many miles. Enjoy the rest, feel better and don't stress. Just focus on good, quality runs the rest of the week. Good Luck this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you don't want to over do it and end up being sick again or getting sicker instrad of better. I say ease back into it and don't stress over what you missed just do what you can and work from there. You can always add in a little bit a puch here and there and you will be right back to where you wanted to be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...