Monday, October 24, 2011

Week Three: Disney Princess Half Marathon Training

Week Three

Monday – yoga rest

Didn’t happen. My back was sore again after bouncing around in a bouncy house on Sunday afternoon. It was painful to twist and felt inflamed. I figured the twisting moves in yoga along with the heat wouldn’t help me much and I took the day off.

Tuesday – rest

For real. Spent the night on the couch catching up on DVR.

Wednesday – run

Rainy day= treadmill (yay!). I decided to ramp up the treadmill to a 1.0 incline to start and see how that felt, so I could kind of imitate the effect or running outside. I know it should have been 1.5 or 2, but my legs were sore before I even started running. Most of the soreness and cramping was in my calves. They started burning more with each interval. I tried to stop and stretch a little bit after the warm up, but they felt tight the entire time. It really hurt. So I went back to no incline. I did intervals of 2 min run at 4.5 and 2 min walk at 3.0. 5 min warm up, 5 min cool down.

30 mins - 1.892 miles  (15:51/mi)

Thursday – rest


Friday – run

It got dark really fast tonight and I was working the late shift, so I stuck it out on the treadmill. Honestly, I like the treadmill better. It’s easier than outside. I know the reasons why it’s easier, but I don’t care. I’m all about easy when we’re talking about running. Another speed work day. Did another pyramid of intervals 3.0, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.0, 3.0. Did each one twice before going onto the next speed. Next time I might try doing each one once, then going through it entirely again.

30 mins - 1.975 miles (15:11/mi)

Saturday – rest

I went to Davis Farmland for the Mega Maze Fright Nights. I wanted to use my Garmin to keep track of how much we zig-zagged and got lost, but it was completely dead when I got there, so no dice. We walked fairly quickly through the maze and after a few pit stops at a shuffleboard, putt-putt range, and slingshot area we got out of the maze in about 2 hours. We probably walked about 2-3 miles or more in that maze.

Sunday – long run

On the schedule for today was 4 miles. I had a 5K scheduled, so I did that and as I crossed the finish, I hit lap and kept going to finish the 4 miles.

I might have been the only one NOT in costume!
I walked more than I ran for the last mile. I tried to stretch as much as possible before getting in the car for an hour ride home, but it obviously wasn’t enough. On my way home, I stopped at PR Running and asked about compression socks. While I was there, I saw The Stick, which had been recommended to me by a twitter buddy @JuiceLee337. They had a tester and I tried it out. It seems to be doing the trick. I kinda figured out how to foam roll my glutes and hamstrings, but I can get the rest of that area with The Stick. All is well in the land of hurt muscles. For now. I still have that knot, but I’m working on it.

Witch City 5K race report coming soon.

5K time: 3.17 miles – 54:07 (17:04/mi)
+
0.84 miles – 16:08 (19:16/mi)
=
4.00 miles – 1:10:16 (17:33/mi)

Week three, done. Just like that. These weeks are flying by. Next week is kind of a rest week. The long run is only 2 miles again. But I guess that how you runner people do things. After next week it ramps back up again. I look forward to next week fo-sho!

Oct 17 - Oct 23


125 days until the Disney Princess Half Marathon!


1 comment:

  1. I love reading your training recaps! We were supposed to do the Disney Half Marathon in January but my husband got in a bike accident which interfered with our training plan so we were able to defer to another race so we are going to do the 2012 Wine and Dine. The Princess is on my "to run" list though enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...